Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Just Sharing my Feelings

palliative

adj : moderating pain or sorrow by making it easier to bear [syn: alleviative, alleviatory, lenitive, mitigative, mitigatory] n : remedy that alleviates pain without curing [syn: alleviant, alleviator]

pal·li·a·tive (pl-tv, ---tv)
adj.

Relieving or soothing the symptoms of a disease or disorder without effecting a cure.

They make the word sound so comforting and peaceful.

Unfortunately, I feel far from peaceful.

Today, I look for no sympathy, there is no depression involved when you look back on the life of a 90 year old strong, loving woman. But I cannot help but feel the sadness with the word palliative. With the phone call from my dad telling me that should tell me something. My grama has asked someone be with her 24-7 from here on out. No one would say no to that. So my mom is there with her, and I'm making my way as soon as I can. What's running through my mind right now is the memory of arriving in Winnipeg 2 days too late to say goodbye to my mom's mom. I had a hard time ever accepting that I was unable to say goodbye to her, so I refuse to make such a mistake ever again...

I have so many friends who loved her nearly as much as I did. She's a wonderful and outspoken woman who touched everyone she met. SO many people have said to me, "well, she led a full life, there's nothing to be sad about 90 years with a majority of happiness... "

But for right now, I'll sit quietly, reflect on her life and her love for me, and I think I'll be a little sad. I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to it. Because I'm really gonna miss her when she's gone.