Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Good, The Bad and the Best

How is it that some people go through life as if nothing could ever go drastically wrong and they travel on as if everything is worth a smile and a thank you? And others seem to believe the world owes them the works. They perceive that each and every person is at their disposal, they never do anything inappropriate, and their children are just as perfect as they are. These seem to be the same people who think their children are overweight as a result of the school they attend serving crap in the cafeteria, not because they allow them to perch themselves before the bloody X-Box for hours on end with an endless supply of Cheezies to injest and absolutely no physical activity to keep them in good health. Only to proclaim with utter asininity, "The instructor wouldn't help him" and in the same breath confess this same child refuses to try. But it's still my fault her child is 40 pounds heavier than healthy and won't climb even half the hill I climbed 50 times the day before. And believe me, I'm not in supermodel shape and can't run for a mile without my lungs bursting, but I was never afraid of a little hard work, especially to learn a new sport.

I too am learning something new every day. I am slowly recognizing that each child is a close replica of their parent and it is unbelievable how sad some children of this generation are becoming due to the coddling of their parents and the complete disregard that their child is NOT the best at everything and will never be without a little exertion. It takes hard work at anything to be good at it, but if you're unwilling to even TRY, then there's no way you can ever succeed. But then, I guess it is my fault for not dropping the other 5 kids with an amazing desire to learn a new sport and babying the boy who just CAN'T do it. Guess I should have made the class stand around at the bottom of the hill and kick snow around whining and crying until we all went home in frustration. And I guess I should have let the kid who couldn't stop without falling down, ride the T-bar so his mom wouldn't have thrown a temper tantrum like a two-year-old. Maybe I was supposed to get down and beg for them to stay so that later in the day he could have taken out another skier and we could have sent both away in an ambulance.

I am sorry for my rant today, but it appears that sadly enough, the most pretentious parents are the ones who've stuck in my mind above all. I could mention the parents of the others in the group who praised me for a job well done and were amazed at how well their children followed my direction and really progressed with their abilities. Then there are the parents with the little boy we DID have to send away in the ambulance who praised our first aid skills and recognized our attempts at getting their son to practice on easier hills. They realized it was he that didn't listen and ended up in the hospital fitted with a brand new leg cast. And as for the rest... Out of 75 people who had a tremendously fun day, if only 2 went away disappointed, not in our lack of effort, but in their own, then I think very highly of our staff (of 5 to be exact) and revel in a job very well done.

On another slightly bittersweet note, I now understand the true feeling of isolation from good friends. I know one person who can relate one hundred percent when I say there was a fabulous farm party this weekend where I was sadly missed, but nonetheless, remembered. When the phone rings and you have 8 wonderful friends wanting you to be with them, you realize you are truly blessed with the honor of friendship far beyond your wildest dreams. Only wish I could have been there, though I was in spirit...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home